Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Some for you and some for me...

If someone were to ask me if I think my daughter is spoiled the question would be an enthusiastic YES! I have vowed to spoil her silly with all of our time and the best of our assets. I want her to have everything I didn't and then some. It's funny because before she was born my husband and I were pretty sure how we'd fall into the roles of good cop bad cop, me being the bad cop. In theory I have a very straightforward, nononsense, strict, combat parenting, take no prisoners attitude... it has all but melted in face of those deep gorgeous dancing brown eyes... argh! works everytime! How do we balance wanting to give our children our all without setting our selves up for a downward spiral as they get older?

I recently read an interesting article on Babble about the invasion of plastic toys that's taken over most child raising homes. Believe me when I say that I hate!! stress HATE!! when it looks like a fisher price bomb has gone off in your living room! can't stand any of that cheap, plasticy, battery operated, made in china crap! I have wholeheartedly embraced a green, handmade, wooden, montessori inspired vision of what playthings should keep my little one entertained and interested. That philosophy carries over into the sheer volume of stuff I'd like to own as well as its child minded display and accessibility. We are lucky to have a large room designated as the play room but I feel it's important for my daughter to have representation in every room in the house, even if it's just a shelf here or a box of toys there. That said I think it's just as easy to get caught up in the green, eco freindly, montessori, waldorf, european made craze as it is with regular plastic toys and whoa it'll cost you! I'm the first to argue that it's better to buy one quality long lasting toy then 10 cheap ones but heck what happens when you covet the whole lot? As my daughter grows and matures each day I'm learning the very true adage about having children being a fantastic way to revisit your own childhood and indulging your inner child!

Just the other day I took a How is your inner child quiz and my results were




Your Inner Child Is Angry


You're not an angry person.
But when you don't get your way, watch out.
Like a very manipulative kid, you will get what you want.
Even if it takes a little kicking and screaming .....



he he he temper temper now we now where she gets it from...

There are definitely purchases that I've made for her that have a whole lot of "for me" and "I, love it!" mixed in like this Mouse and House playset from Pottery Barn I scored on ebay recently. I'm very guilty of staying up til some ungodly hour of the night to ensure that this set became mine! umm I mean Baby L's... just couldn't resist the crafty handmade look of it, and it's even better in person!



I guess the trouble with spoiling is discerning who exactly am I spoiling....

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this little mouse house! Good find, I'm going to have to search ebay....
    Great blog,
    Nikki
    Etsy shop isiki

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails